Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Happy Celebration of Life Day!

HAPPY NATIONAL CELEBRATION OF LIFE DAY!  January 22nd is "Celebration of Life Day," a day when we are supposed to really appreciate all the children in our lives.  I know my life is pretty much all about the children: my own, and also my "Rowing Kids," as I like to call them, who range in age from 8 (the youngest Student Ambassadors) to 19 (Nick Bourne, Man of Steel).  Pretty much everyone I fraternize with is just as kid-centric as I am.  However, sadly, based on my "Day Job," as a family law and divorce attorney for the past 23 years, that's not the case with everyone.  For the rest of us, who really do put our kids' interests first, try to take it one step further.



Today, look at the world through the eyes of a child.  Your own children or grandchildren, or your "Inner Child," if you will.  Think of how Joyous the world is for them.  And truly ponder how difficult what we could consider the most basic tasks are for them, whether it is public speaking, getting up early, putting their face in the water for the first time, or learning to take a hit in football (believe me, it doesn't come naturally).  In other words, Celebrate Childhood and the children in your life today by slowing down, putting aside the (FILL IN THE BLANK) and really focusing on what they're saying.  Because, trust me, they just want to be heard.

This is a photo of our current and some former Student Ambassadors.  They either won or competed in a gig boat race for the first time in this picture, something most experienced rowers consider beneath them.  But these kids were so proud of themselves, and I was so proud of them too, so I put them up on the podium with the flags and took this picture.  Some day, they will be on the podium for the college or maybe for the United States.  But like Big Coach says, you have to take care of the Little People because someday they're going to be the Big People.  You also have to take care of the Little Kids because they are what matters most.  To be honest, they may not have won any medals that day, but the fact that someone made such a big deal about their gig boat race is all that mattered to them, and you can tell from the big smiles.  Have a great day,  everyone, and remember to Count Your Blessings! <3 Mrs. Lo

No comments:

Post a Comment